Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > For Who & Where you are > Over 50s Money Saving > Over 50s MoneySaving Checklist Discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Over 50s MoneySaving Checklist Discussion
Views: 13,833
# 1
Old 04-06-2010, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Over 50s MoneySaving Checklist Discussion

Hi all,
this thread is specifically to discuss the guide:

We want your feedback - what worked for you, and are there any other juicy discounts, tips or tricks you've found that could help other MoneySavers? Just click reply to share your feedback.

Thanks,

MSE Rose

Last edited by MSE Rose; 08-02-2012 at 4:31 PM.
# 2
Old 13-10-2010, 3:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Discount Cards

I see from the recent e-mail that mention is made of Focus DIY's 10% discount card. As some will know, from time to time they also send out a 15% discount card which has about a month's validity - well worth waiting for!
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Stevens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Old 13-10-2010, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Talking Cheap theatre tickets

Many theatres give big discounts for over 60's. I got tickets for Jersey Boys for �19.50 in row B of dress circle - normally �60. You have to ring the theatre direct to get this discount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cimscate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Old 13-10-2010, 4:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 1,347 Times in 897 Posts

Cafe Giardino give 10% discount to over-60's without the need for a card. (They have stopped publicising this since they introduced a free discount card that anyone can apply for by supplying their details.)
# 5
Old 13-10-2010, 5:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 66,644 Times in 22,243 Posts

That's helpful. I unsubscribed to the weekly email some considerable time ago when my email addy was swamped in spam and MSE admitted it was to blame. It happened to other members as well.
So - I'd like to comment, but I can't !
.....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
# 6
Old 14-10-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanked 59,777 Times in 7,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimscate View Post
Many theatres give big discounts for over 60's. I got tickets for Jersey Boys for �19.50 in row B of dress circle - normally �60. You have to ring the theatre direct to get this discount.
My DD got us some great seats for this show last April and we had a wonderful day out.She mentioned that I was a pensioner plus I had a mobility problem and they couldn't have been more helpful She too got two tickets with her as my 'carer' for a third of the price of what they should have been,fantastic show and I loved every minute of it
DD has got us 2 tickets for Robbie at Wembley this year
Just spoke to her , she has also managed to get two tickets for us to see Blood Brothers at Dartford in November
�60.00 for the food purse this month.Day 10 and finally bought some shopping �47.80 left
# 7
Old 14-10-2010, 1:15 PM

Thanked 9,785 Times in 5,167 Posts

I signed up for the Senior Friend card (�16 a year) at my local city theatre. Up to half price on first nights and reductions for yourself and up to 3 friends (they dont have to be seniors) for most of the shows.
# 8
Old 14-10-2010, 3:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default warmfront grants available to 60's+no need for benefits

Just to let you all know that to get help with your central heating, repairs replacing a boiler etc call warmfront they will ask a few questions, check to make sure they have not previously award a grant, and if you are on benefits.
If you are not on benefits you can receive a voucher worth �300 which you hand over to the fitter when the work is completed and he deducts it from your bill.
just make sure you get several estimates, all the fitters have to be registered with warmfront to be able to use the voucher.

we obtained 3 quotes after moving home when we found the boiler to be faulty, we called someone who had installed central in our previous home and 2 others, the one we chose was charging almost �1000 less than the fitter we had used in the past, he did a better job, was quick, came when he said he would, the finish and fittings were better than we had in our other home, it was a quality job for a lesser cost. We are in shropshire if anyone wants his name let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to caw99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Old 12-11-2010, 3:00 PM

Thanked 17,882 Times in 3,650 Posts

Boots have an Over 60's discount card scheme. B & Q have a 10% discount day on one weekday (think it may be Wednesday) if you sign up for a card. Many garden centres have a discount for a Pensioners Day if you ask.
My hairdresser offers lower pensioners' prices Monday to Thursday.
The National Trust have a lower subscription rate for pensioners.
Also as others have posted, many theatres offer concessions for pensioners.
# 10
Old 14-04-2011, 9:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Senior Railcard

An even bigger potential saving than the 1/3 off ticket prices is the fact that a Senior Railcard converts a Saver ticket into an Open ticket i.e. travel at peak times at Saver rates (excluding a single journey starting and finishing in Greater London i.e. commuting).
# 11
Old 14-04-2011, 5:38 PM

Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdale56 View Post
An even bigger potential saving than the 1/3 off ticket prices is the fact that a Senior Railcard converts a Saver ticket into an Open ticket i.e. travel at peak times at Saver rates (excluding a single journey starting and finishing in Greater London i.e. commuting).
I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that is only applicable to Virgin Trains.

This map shows their network.
The Following User Says Thank You to wealdroam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Old 22-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: In my drum, on my manor in Sarfeast Lunnun, Englandshire
Thanked 16,247 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealdroam View Post
I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that is only applicable to Virgin Trains.

Check it out here:

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/buy...rms-conditions
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
"I do believe in furries, I do, I do".
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
# 13
Old 23-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippypud View Post
Thanks Dippypud.

Just had a look at that link, but couldn't see anything pertinent.
# 14
Old 23-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanked 1,489 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
That's helpful. I unsubscribed to the weekly email some considerable time ago when my email addy was swamped in spam and MSE admitted it was to blame. It happened to other members as well.
So - I'd like to comment, but I can't !
What's your point about not being able to comment?

If you don't receive the email you can still read the content on the site.
# 15
Old 25-04-2011, 12:24 AM

Thanked 27,038 Times in 14,917 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippypud View Post
Quote:
Thanks Dippypud.

Just had a look at that link, but couldn't see anything pertinent.
Quote:
Time restrictions

The Railcard discount isn�t available on tickets for travel during the morning rush hour (peak time), Monday to Friday (not including Public Holidays) when journeys are made wholly within the London and South East area. The times of morning off-peak services do vary by route and are normally related to the availability of Off-Peak Day tickets. It's best to check with ticket office staff before buying your tickets. There are some easements to the London and South East area restrictions, see restrictions.
It's clearly not just Virgin trains you can travel at any time of day on. It's practically any, except most of London and the SE.

Although it doesn't specifically mention Saver tickets and Open tickets, I think that's the difference between them: you can't get Saver tickets in the rush hour (normally).
Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Back from holidaz, still catching up with myself ...
# 16
Old 25-04-2011, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue View Post
It's clearly not just Virgin trains you can travel at any time of day on. It's practically any, except most of London and the SE.

Although it doesn't specifically mention Saver tickets and Open tickets, I think that's the difference between them: you can't get Saver tickets in the rush hour (normally).
But the point made in post #10 was that with a Senior Railcard one could get the railcard discount and travel at peak times with an off peak ticket.
In other words, travel at peak times with a railcard discounted off peak ticket.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a link that confirms this, but I still believe this extra facility is only available on Virgin Trains.

# 17
Old 25-04-2011, 1:25 AM

Thanked 27,038 Times in 14,917 Posts

Quote:
But the point made in post #10 was that with a Senior Railcard one could get the railcard discount and travel at peak times with an off peak ticket.
In other words, travel at peak times with a railcard discounted off peak ticket.
but isn't that the difference between an 'open' ticket and a 'saver' ticket: ie with an open you can travel at any time, with a saver you can only travel outside the rush hour?

I don't know, I get very confused myself, when there are degrees of saving for off peak day returns at different times of day advertised ...
Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Back from holidaz, still catching up with myself ...
# 18
Old 25-04-2011, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue View Post
but isn't that the difference between an 'open' ticket and a 'saver' ticket: ie with an open you can travel at any time, with a saver you can only travel outside the rush hour?

I don't know, I get very confused myself, when there are degrees of saving for off peak day returns at different times of day advertised ...
If one wants to travel at peak time (whatever that may be), generally one needs to buy an Anytime ticket.
Outside peak times, an Off Peak ticket is the one to buy.

As you say, either of those tickets can be bought with a railcard discount (with some SouthEast restrictions).

But in addition to that, Virgin will allow a railcard holder to travel at peak times with an Off Peak ticket.
My understanding is that only Virgin Trains offer this extra 'discount'.

I am finding this difficult to explain, but hope we're getting there.
The Following User Says Thank You to wealdroam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Old 08-02-2012, 9:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Shouldn't this be renamed "over-60s checklist" as a. most items in the list apply to over-60s and b. I don't like it being implied that I'm old at 51 :-)
2 steps to Windows8 heaven:-
1. install a Start button e.g. classicshell
2. run modern (Metro) apps in a window e.g. Stardock ModernMix
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpycrab For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Over 50's ????

Couldn't agree more with Grumpycrab.
The Following User Says Thank You to maxmiler For This Useful Post: Show me >>